Originally built in three phases from 1950-1957, the building at 2223 Dodge Street in Omaha housed the office and showroom for Northern Natural Gas, a company responsible for introducing gas for in-home use to the midwest.
Design studies found on the cover of the final tower addition drawings, produced by the office of architect John Latenser, show the structure in its current state. This shape heavily influenced the logo creation process.
Since The Highline was constructed in the International Style of architecture, no longer prevalent in the US, we wanted to highlight the rare exterior star-patterning panel. Mirroring the façade on interior-facing walls, custom wallpaper serves a twofold purpose: when exiting the elevators, residents are greeted by floor-indicating beacons, with a star backdrop that zooms in as floors become increasingly higher.
Star patterning adaptations were made for galvanized metalwork and given metallic signage treatments throughout the property.
Visual elements of the 1950's era informed an icon system developed to assist residential navigation and wayfinding. Iconography was utilized throughout the art package as well, shown here silk-screened onto mirrors in a shared area.
Since Northern Natural Gas kept a pristine archive of company newsletters, they graciously shared original imagery with the redevelopment team. In the initial weeks following lease-up, community tours were given; a woman who worked in the building in the early 60's spotted herself in this piece on the 15th floor:
At the end of each floor's corridors are clusters of doors where residents pass the art- and custom carpet- on their way home.
Promotional tees and koozies were shared at the grand opening event, reminding the community that life is, indeed, better up here.